This is one of my favorite breakfasts. I actually make it all year long but it is also a tradition that my father in law makes it on Christmas morning. Yum-o!!
CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
1 package Pillsbury Croissant Dough
1 pound pork sausage
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1.5 cups grated cheese
2 cups milk
dash of pepper
*diced onions and peppers optional
1. Place Pillsbury croissant dough in a greased 13×9 casserole dish
2. Brown sausage, toss with maple syrup and let heat for another minute.
3. Spoon sausage over dough. Sprinkle cheese over sausage.
4. Beat last 5 ingredients; pour into dish.
5. Cover and refrigerate over night.
6. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
2. This is also one that gets made by my husband’s Aunt Karen. It is DELICIOUS! And since it is the only way to get my family to eat yams, we eat it a few times a year. But always during the fall when we can get yams right from the farm.
WIENTGE FAMILY CANDIED YAMS
3 32oz cans yams or about 5-6 large yams cleaned and pureed.
¾ cup sugar
½ cup butter
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup PET milk
Mix above ingredients with electric mixer and pour into casserole dish 13×9.
1 box light brown sugar
½ cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup melted butter
Mix until crumbly. Place on top of yams.
Bake at 325 for 25 minutes.
3. This is one my father makes every year. They are so delicately tasty! They aren’t overly sweet so they are great with a rich drink like a Cafe Mocha, a Hot Chocolate, or a Frothy Caramel Latte! I only make these at Christmas as they take some time.
WILLIAMS FAMILY WELSH CAKES
3 cups flour
½ cup lard, ½ cup butter – blended
1 ¼ tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp nutmeg
6 tbsp milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 cup seedless raisins
2 eggs, well-beaten
Mix dry ingredients separately from wet.
Combine and mix into a stiff dough.
Roll onto a floured surface until about ½ inch in thickness
Cut out small circles (about 1 ½ “ diameter) with whatever tool you have handy. (I use a spice jar lid)
Fry in electric frying pan, brown both sides.
Category: Sweets & Treats
4. Finally, a family favorite. See if you can follow this: My husband’s best friend’s mother gave me this recipe after a party at her home. I couldn’t get over how delicious this bacon was in the salad. I apologize but, the provel cheese is NOT the same as provelone and can only be bought in St. Louis area (made for Imo’s Pizza company). You can substitute with havarti or asiago
MRS.PITLYK’S BACON PROVEL SALAD
Good Seasons Packet Italian dressing made with oil & vinegar
1 pound bacon cooked and chopped – then refrigerated
Sunflower seeds salad toppins’ mixture of your choice
Mix and serve.